When I first came across this recipe from Portlandia, my eyebrow curled up. Really, a popcorn recipe?
Then I remembered that there are such things as cheddar and caramelized popcorn. I tend to be a movie theater popcorn purist. I don’t even like to butter mine. It gets too greasy and if the popcorn is done right from the get go with seasoning and etc, it’s not needed. In my opinion.
I’m a strong independent woman who don’t need no butter, but this recipe is of the nacho cheddar variety and let’s face it, I’m a cheesy person. Maybe it’s time I allow some cheese in my popcorn.
What you’ll need
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese powder or a packet of cheese from a mac and cheese mix (but then you don’t have cheese for your mac and cheese and that’s upsetting to me)
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup of popping popcorn
- 4 tablespoons of butter, melted
In an appropriately sized bowl, mix all your powders and the yeast.
Then in a large pot, heat the oil and then add the popcorn. Cover slightly with a lid and pop the corn over medium heat.
Once the kernels have popped pour the popcorn into a bowl and dump the melted butter on it. Toss until butter has coated evenly, then add half of your powder mixture and toss again. Once you’ve felt it’s been tossed enough, add the rest of the powder mixture and continue more tossing.
Eventually it all be mixed and then you can add salt to your liking and enjoy!